Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Good Deeds

If you been around here long enough, you know at times I can be very critical of the VFW. Believe me, there is much to find fault with. And yet, there is so much good that happens because of very dedicated and caring people that it far outweighs the negatives.

My post made me very proud last night. In fact, they made me cry.

I had asked our bar manager if she had any leftover raffle things that we could part with. My idea was to put together a basket to take to convention and raffle it off for Young SGT. And I will admit, I felt a little guilty for doing this- my little angel on one shoulder was asking if that wasn't sort of selfish, but the devil on the other shoulder poked her in the ass and said Hell No, we do it for everyone else! Let me say, did I ever get hooked up. FOUR Bears shirts. Three ballcaps. A couple of NASCAR shirts and jacket. A Bears clock. A grill pack for tailgating. Lots more. I was so overwhelmed that I damn near lost it. Old Sarge and our friend Bill took it all out to our car, and Bill asked what it was for. I explained, since he will be at convention with us too.

We're not a wealthy Post by any means. With such a large (old) building, it's a struggle to get the bills paid most months. So imagine my surprise after our respective meetings last night when our commander told me they were going to send some money Young SGT's way.

Talk about doing the right thing at the right time.

And yes, I cried like a baby.

1 Comments:

At 6/20/2007, Blogger Richmond said...

Wow. SOunds like you are amongst good friends there. That's wonderful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home