Monday, June 11, 2007

Disturbing Moment

There are things you never really think about, that are normal for YOUR life but can be completely alien to others. I never think about being a military family, although we surely are. It’s just the way our lives are. And apparently it’s an insult to some folks that we are damn proud of it.

Take clothing. I work in a pretty casual environment. T-shirts and polos are fine to wear. If I don’t have a company shirt on, you’ll see me in an Army, Air Force, Marine or VF*n*W shirt. I never think twice about it.

Then there’s my car. Since I have gotten the new Exploder, I haven’t replaced any of my ribbon magnets. The ones I had left had gotten pretty faded and since I haven’t found a “Keep My Soldier Safe” one to replace the one that was stolen, (that still has me seriously pissed off- it’s personal!) I haven’t put any more on. There are no “My son is in the Army” stickers, no “USAF Retired”, no Marine Corps. All I have are the Illinois Veteran plates.

That, and my Ft. Benning t-shirt, seemed to push some guy over the edge at the gas station this morning. I am in there almost every morning for coffee, smokes or gas; I know pretty much “the regulars” at o-dark-thirty. I was just opening my door to leave, setting down my coffee and purse, when some guy went AROUND my door and “accidently” shoved me in the back with his shoulder. I turned around and yelled HEY! and the guy spit at my back plate. Missed, thank God, and kept walking.

What in the world?

I went back in to ask the girls if they knew who that was; I didn’t get a good look at him. Neither one did. It’s not all that uncommon to have strangers around that time of morning. The county jail is just across the street.

I didn’t chase the guy down or anything. I’m still too…shocked! to be mad. The rage is coming, I’m sure, but in the meantime, where did I put those stickers?

1 Comments:

At 6/11/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WTF?!?! I'm torn between pissed and shocked.

What an ass.

BTW - let me know where I can get some magnets if you find them? I haven't gotten any "prettys" for Lana and she's VERY patriotic!!!

Tammi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home