Monday, January 28, 2008

Shhh!!

My parents' 50th anniversary is this Saturday. My sisters and I have planned a rather large surprize party for them (oh sorry, my brother is helping too- he gets to pay for the open bar). Along the way, my mother has stated that she does not want a party, and planned a trip with Dad to Mississippi, which fortunately ain't gonna happen.

Parents, what do you do with them? This ought to be interesting.

My mom, at 70, is a dynamo. She is on the go constantly, always dressed to the nines. We are not much alike except in looks. My dad, on the other hand..

The other morning, I was leaving for work about 5:00 and Dad is already cruising town in his pickup. I was right behind him, so I called.

RM: Hey, what are you doing up so early?
Dad: I can't hear you.
RM: DAD, I SAID WHAT ARE YOU DOING OUT SO EARLY?
Dad: I can't you hear you!
RM: DAD, IT'S RM, WHAT ARE YOU DOING UP?
Dad: (stops in the middle of the highway) Mother, I'll have to call you back, I can't hear a word.

We had invited my dad's sister from Nashville. Elsie is getting close to 80, I would imagine, and we didn't expect her to come up.

That was stupid on our part.

She checked into chartering a plane, but since that was going to cost $13,000, she is having her housekeeper drive her up instead. My aunt is just a bit of a diva, and I'm sure she will be high-maintenance once she is here. But I can't wait to see her, she has always been one of my favorites. I could listen to her talk for hours, and not for any reason you might think.

See, Elsie has been deaf since she was a very young girl. She had rheumatic fever when she was seven. And ever since I was little, I have loved listening to the deaf talk. It has never ceased to fascinate me. It will be good to talk to her again.

I'm sure I will have more to post as the day gets closer. I have no idea how we are going to pull this all off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home