Saturday, September 15, 2007

Drugs Are Not My Friend

I am notorious for not going to the doctor when I am sick. I hate it, and I have no patience for waiting rooms. If you are already sick, who wants to be around a bunch of other sick people, right?

But, the boss informed me yesterday that I had better do something about this cough because it's making HIM hurt. So, I called into the doctor's office and request something to ease the coughing.

Them: You really need to come in. We have an opening in half an hour.
RM: I can't. I'm an hour away and I can't leave.
Them: We'll call you back.

Later...

Them: You really need to come in. We have an opening in 45 minutes, and after that Doctor is gone for the afternoon.
RM: No, I CAN'T come in, I'm still an hour away and I carpooled, so I can not come in.
Them: We'll call you back.

Later:
Them: Okay, we're calling in a prescription for you here in town.
RM: Thanks, that's great. (pause) Um, you remembered I have a bad codeine allergy, right?
Them: Oh dear. We'll call you back.

Much later...
Old Sarge: I tried to pick up your prescription, but they don't have it.
RM: What, it didn't get called in?
OS: No, it JUST got called in, but they don't have the product.
RM: Since I'm in XXXX can they call their pharmacy there?
OS: Yep.

Later...
OS: They don't have it there, so they're calling it into Walgreen's in XXXX.
RM: (sigh) On my way.

At Walgreen's:
RM: DO you have a prescription for Mrs. Sarge?
Them: No, we don't.

Fuck it. I went home and "self-medicated". My dear husband ran down later last night and got my drugs, which I took right before I went to work.
Now, when I got to work, I was deathly ill and getting a rash on my chest, so I googled the ingredients in these meds:

Hydrocodone or dihydrocodeinone (marketed as Vicodin, Anexsia, Dicodid, Hycodan (or generically Hydromet), Hycomine, Lorcet, Lortab, Norco, Novahistex, Hydroco, Tussionex, Vicoprofen, Xodol. Bekadid, Calmodid, Codinovo, Duodin, Kolikodol,Orthoxycol, Mercodinone, Synkonin, Norgan,Hydrokon) is a semi-synthetic opioid derived from two of the naturally occurring opiates, codeine and thebaine.

Honestly. It is easier to just deal with the pneumonia than it is health care "professionals".

2 Comments:

At 9/15/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For cryin' out loud.....You're right. It is easier to just fix it yourself. Sometimes.

On a postive note: at least you don't react to Codine the way I do. I hallucinate, usually thinkin' I'm on fire, and run around tearing my clothes off. Huh - wonder what your boss would think if you did THAT in the office. ;-)

Feel better soon!!!!

Tammi

 
At 9/16/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

RM: Hate to hear that you're ill. Hope you're better soon.

Tammi: at least the boss would quit complaining about the coughing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home