Thursday, July 19, 2007

What's Great About Small Towns

This year, I am treasurer of the Ladies Auxiliary VFW, a position I have not held before, and I am in WAY over my head at the moment. There's an awful lot to the job, and as of now, I have all the stuff I need still packed in the boxes the previous treasurer packed for me. I did find the stamps, though, so at 3:30 a.m. I was getting bills ready to mail out. No lights, no coffee.

It was after I dropped them in the mailbox that I realized I probably didn't put enough postage on them. I had no idea if, in addition to the 2-cent stamps I used, if the others were 37 or 39-cents. Then I had to have my doubts just exactly how much postage runs these days.

Yes, I can be THAT oblivious.

Soooo, I called Old Sarge and explained myself and asked if maybe, please, could he stop by the post office and let them know of my dilemma? God bless this man for his patience. He did, and the Postmistress (who we went to school with) pulled my letters out. Two were fine, and one had no postage whatsoever. I have no idea how I managed that.

The moral of the story is twofold- don't do bookwork before the sun rises or without coffee, and NEVER move away from a place that still cares enough about people to go the extra mile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home