Monday, May 01, 2006

May baskets

I suppose I should have some riveting commentary on the illegal immigrant protests that are happening today. Or I could ask if anyone knows that today is Loyalty Day, and that this US holiday came about as an anti-Soviet/Marxist alternative to May Day.

But what I am remembering is May baskets.

This was a Big Deal when I was growing up, this making and delivering of May baskets. The night before, I would be sitting with colored construction paper and rounded-tip scissors, marking carefully on the paper where I should cut so that, with the help of a stapler, the paper would fold up into a perfect basket with handle. Mom would make popcorn and I would fill my baskets with that, Indian candy corn and what ever other little treats we could afford. After school the next day, the finishing touch of violets for decoration would be added, and off I would go to deliver them to my friends, all the while wondering how many baskets had been dropped off at our house for me.

Does anyone else remember doing this?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home