Monday, March 31, 2008

A Crossroads

It dawned on me this morning that it is probably time to get my ass in gear and look for a job. It's not that there's a lack of things for me to be doing around the house, that could take MONTHS to get in order. But, I'm starting to worry and just feel...bad. It is going to be very hard if not impossible to stay in dispatch. There's just not much turnover in that particular construction field.

The inevitable question is, now what?

I am nearly 50 years old, and a huge life change is pretty daunting. I honestly don't know what else I can do. Bartend? Wait tables? I would hope I'd move UP, not back down.

So I'm a little scared at the moment.

Guess I'll go get another cup of coffee and tackle the closets.

7 Comments:

At 3/31/2008, Blogger Richmond said...

Another door will open - I just know it. ::crosses fingers::

Maybe police dispatch?? 911? Fire?? School buses? Something!

 
At 3/31/2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ma don't sell yourself short. You are plenty smart, talented, and resourceful. You do so much for so many organizations- maybe they'll realize the potential I know you've got :)
-K

 
At 4/02/2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hell if you don't have to then don't sweat it. Work is over rated.

 
At 4/05/2008, Blogger That 1 Guy said...

Don't stress it. Easier said than done, but still...

Okay. I know you're laughing because I said those words.

 
At 4/10/2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

... good luck!.... have faith and things will happen...

Eric

 
At 4/11/2008, Blogger Omnibabe said...

Send me a draft resume, if you like, and then let's talk. I used to be a resume consultant and am pretty good at helping people shine a light on their strengths and skills to get maximum attention from the employers who'd be lucky to have them. A good resume can do wonders for your self esteem, too.

 
At 4/14/2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can do this. I saw the comment from your son and it reiterated.

It is daunting whether 20, 30, 40 or 50, just unfortuntately society and years of living can take the confidence away we had when we were 20 and immortal.

You can do this. Think about meeting with a career counselor... they may have one at your local JC. You don't have to go back to school, just talk to someone about where your skill mix fits.

Don't sell yourself short... because believe it or not, at 50 you have a helluva lot more to offer than someone who is 20 or 30. I'm not kidding. My husband has found in his profession now, he only wants to hire women over 40. The young ones walk in and he has the urge to yell, "NEXT!"

You can do this. I know it in my heart.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home