Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Pros and Cons of No-Smoking Bill

Illinois passed a sweeping no-smoking bill that took effect on January 1st. How's it doing?

I have talked to three bar owners, and their revenue is down significantly. People aren't hanging around as long.

One person was cited down in Dixon for smoking in their car too close to a drive-through window. Really.

Personally...it isn't bothering me much. Old Sarge and I quit 2 1/2 years ago and when I started back, I chose not to smoke in the house anymore. My office has always supposed to have been non-smoking, but everyone did anyway, until now. And at the VF*n*W, it's not that big a deal for me to go outside if I choose to.

Upside, I smoke less than half a pack a day. That is HUGE for me!

But I do have a bitch with the whole thing, and it's that CHOICE thing.
It would have been better to let the bars CHOOSE to be smoke-free or not.
I like the fact that I CHOOSE not to smoke at home.

I sincerely resent having the State of Illinois babysit me.

3 Comments:

At 1/16/2008, Blogger Omnibabe said...

The state is nannying us even worse than you think. Sheesh. You'd think we were all about 3 years old, wouldn't you?

 
At 1/16/2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ma does this make you pro-choice???

Some Republican.... I'm so funny.

 
At 1/17/2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love my company. We used to huddle around the door trying to stay under the tiny overhang to keep from getting wet. Before the law went into effect, they decided to build "shelters" for us 15 feet from the doors. The one down near shipping is almost done and the one close to me will be up next. They're huge canopies hanging off the sides of the building to keep us from getting wet from the rain and snow. I think it helps that one of the owners is a chain smoker. haha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home