Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Ice Blogging

I must admit, since I had my accident in February, I am a complete wuss about driving. I hate it. So when yesterday's forecast of ice came out, I opted to be *cough*cough* sick and stay at home.

We have a neighbor across the street, a local judge, who has a huge pine in his yard. Two weeks ago, the previous ice storm had caused one of the branches on this mammoth tree to fall and it made a big mess in his yard. Luckily, the power lines to the house were okay. Old Sarge saw the Judge trying to cut this branch up with a little hand saw, and went over with his chain saw to help him out. I was quite proud of him for taking the initiative.

Well, yesterday I am catching up on housework when I hear what sounds like a gunshot *CRACK*, then THUMP! It scared the bejesus out of me, thinking maybe the front porch had fallen in from the ice dam that's built up. I looked out the window, and no, it's another branch off the Judge's tree, only this one is over two feet in diameter at one end, and has taken out part of the split-rail fence AND the power lines this time. I called my sister-in-law at the courthouse to see if the Judge is working, and to give him the message.

The Judge comes home to survey the damage, and all afternoon there is tree-trimming and electrical repair being done. Finally at sundown everyone leaves, and lights are on in the house. About an hour later, I stepped outside for a smoke; all is quiet and the Judge's wife is playing the piano across the street. All of a sudden-

*CRACK*
*THUMP*

(lights out across the street)

As much as I hate to see trees get cut down, I think it's time for this one to go. Too bad the Judge is a teetotaler, or I would have brought over a bottle of Kahlua.

2 Comments:

At 12/12/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK....I'm going to burn in hell...there is no doubt. Simply because I had to laugh at the image you painted.

"About an hour later, I stepped outside for a smoke; all is quiet and the Judge's wife is playing the piano across the street. All of a sudden-

*CRACK*
*THUMP*

(lights out across the street)"


Man, I hope I don't ever have to go to court in your town. I'll never be able to keep a straight face....

 
At 12/12/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

got any pictures?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home