Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Here There Be Morons

Before he left for Iraq, Young SGT sent me this to wear:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It's his unit crest, and while it is distressingly Packer-ish in its color, I have worn it everyday since I got it. I intend to wear it everyday until he comes home, and that means work, days off, formal events, you name it. It came from him and I treasure it.

Now on Mondays, I like to play Bar Bingo at the VF*n*W in my hometown. There is a woman that comes in every night- we will call her Drunk Sue, because her name is Sue and I have never seen her sober. She's very annoying and tries to ingratiate herself to everyone. Not the kind of member I would have recruited, but hey, it's not my Post. This past Monday, she decides she needs to talk to me.

DS: I really like your blouse.
(it's purple, by the way)
RM: Thank you.
DS: That's a good color for you.
RM: Thank you.
DS: Your pin doesn't match though.
RM: It's not a pin, it's a unit crest, actually.
DS: But it doesn't match.
RM: I think it matches everything I wear.
DS: No! No it doesn't!
RM: Okay, Drunk Sue, I wear it to honor my son, and to let people know which side of things I'm on.
DS: I don't get it.
RM: That's because you are a fucking idiot.

At this point, she moves to a spot across the bar and I reminded (again) by the bartender that profanity is frowned upon. She was laughing when she said it though.

Does anyone else do this? Give out subtle signs that say "hell yes, I stand on the side our military and their mission!"? Just wondering. I know military families are pretty rare here in God's Country, but good lord, how stupid can people be?

9 Comments:

At 11/14/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm limited cause I don't have much, but I wear my US Flag pin on my lapel every day. I carry a military coin I was given everywhere I go. And, my Soldiers Angels pin is very much in the spotlight on my purse. Always.......

Tammi

 
At 11/14/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow you really said that to her. Good for you. I don't know if I would know what it was for but... I certainly would not have told you it didn't match.

 
At 11/14/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Soldiers Angel pin is on each and every day. And in my area, not so many military, so I get lots of questions. And opportunities to recruit more SA.

 
At 11/15/2007, Blogger ma content said...

Tammi- we may change that if I can get another unit crest, because we got a SQUAD to take care of and I need your help!

Lukie- you don't know me well enough to know that profanity is my second language! ;)

JCK- how do I get an SA pin? I have the coin, but a pin would be awesome!

 
At 11/15/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soldiers Angels sells pins for $10-15. I think you can find them in the store in a category (for the Angel). I have purchased, and received pins. (Not the 14k one -not in my budget.) I carry a spare in case I lose one.

 
At 11/15/2007, Blogger DNR said...

I have many troop supporting patches and pins, on my vest, my car and in my office.

I have never been asked where I stand.

 
At 11/15/2007, Blogger Richmond said...

People can be pretty fucking stupid - good for you RM. I think I need more pins...

 
At 11/15/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice job.

Don B.

 
At 11/21/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's it... I am running right out to buy a pin! I was going to go for a yellow ribbon, but now I am thinking... what about a V for victory. hmmm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home