Thursday, August 31, 2006

The Holy Grail of Jelly

When my husband suggested that I get a hobby, other than making his life a living hell, I don't think he knew what he had started. This canning thing has gotten totally out of control! As if I couldn't look out in my garden and see a sea of red, tomatoes gone wild that need my immediate attention, I have had a burr up my ass to make jelly. Not just any jelly, mind you, BEET jelly.

When I was growing up, I loved jelly and jam of any kind. Black Raspberry has always been my favorite, but that usually involves the gathering of said berries. Black Raspberries invariably are in a place in the woods that is impossible to get to without many layers of clothes to guard against mosquitos and stickers, liberal application of Deep Woods OFF because the little bastards will find a way to bite you regardless, a machete and an unwavering belief that you won't see a snake. All this in the heat of summer. Pfftt! What bother. Our neighbor, however, had a recipe for beet jelly that was out of this world and did NOT involved Bactine or heat stroke. I know, I know, you're skeptical. Best. Stuff. In. The. World.
Unfortunately, the neighbor died, I have long since lost the recipe, Mom couldn't find it either, so my hopes of ever making this again were pretty much dashed.

Until I ran into our neighbor's sister last night.

Here it is, now preserved for posterity:

6 C. of beet water
1 TBSP of RealLemon
2 Packages of Sure Jel
Boil hard for 15 minutes
Add:
8 C. sugar
3 oz. red jello (of course I use black raspberry)
Boil for 10-15 minutes. Makes 12 pint jars

I'll be pressure canning these just because I can. It seems safer. AND...I think, after looking at the ingredients, that AWTM should probably receive a jar.

2 Comments:

At 9/01/2006, Blogger Rachelle Jones said...

Hell I will take a jar...
Can I ask a question, where in the hell do I get beets down here...

root vegies are hard to get locally, due to the amount of rockage...

serious rockage...

I have never had this...
never

 
At 9/01/2006, Blogger ma content said...

If you had to, you can use canned beets to get your water. I think the whole beet thing is for the great color. And I will definitely send you a jar if it turns out well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home