Monday, July 10, 2006

The Nautical Chronicles Part III

Just in case anyone is wondering why we haven't had guests on the boat, there is a reason. A very good reason.

We have yet to make an...uneventful...launch. This weekend was no exception.

Old Sarge got a six gallon gas can, just so we wouldn't run out again. So, we get ready to hook the trailer up, and for shits and giggles, OS tries to start the boat.

Dead.As.A.Doornail.

Fortunately, my dad has one of these nifty portable chargers, so I grabbed that out of his garage and viola! Battery is good to go.

Off we go, beautiful day, the river isn't very crowded and everything is fine. Until the motor starts sputtering. Okay, no worries, we have extra gas. Fill the fuel cell and...the motor dies. Will not start again. Dead battery again. Hook up the portable charger again and nothing.

To make matters worse, Illinois only requires that you have one paddle in the boat. What the hell kind of stupidity is that?? And who could be STUPID enough just to buy one paddle?

Um....we were. So we are dead in the water, so to speak, just upstream from the pumping station for the nuke plant. Directly under the high voltage lines that come from the nuke plant. My hair is standing on end, and I'm pretty sure Son #2 is now sterile. We're baking.

Fortunately, after about a half hour, the portable gave the battery enough of a boost to get us almost to the boat ramp, close enough for Old Sarge to swim us in. And I have discovered something unusual in my genetic makeup that I wouldn't have thought possible. All my Cherokee DNA is contained from my knees down! Seriously, I am fried except for my shins snd feet.

On a lighter note, my sister, brother-in-law, Old Sarge and I are doing to be repairing one of the old docks so we can leave our boats in. (My other sisters won't share their dock, bitches) I've noticed alot of folks have signs at their docks areas like Fishers Landing and what not. I think we need something a little more special.

Cantina Marina, anyone? Home of the first Rock River float-up margarita bar?

2 Comments:

At 7/10/2006, Blogger Tammi said...

Perfect!!!

Oh, and I'll just wait til you got everything goin' smooth. I'm good crew, but only when it doesn't involve real physical labor! ;-)

 
At 7/11/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I just say something here... you are one hell of a woman...

I received the package... I am at a loss of words. The blanket is beautiful... you are wonderful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home