Friday, June 16, 2006

A Sea Change

Man oh man, it seems like forever since I’ve been able to sit down and write a post. Work has been so hectic, it is taking at least 14 hours out of my day. I’m not complaining too much either- I have a good job, they pay me pretty well, and my little corner of Bedrock is breaking records this company NEVER thought we could.

Work is important. Have to do it to have the kind of life I want to live.

Then there’s the other stuff.

Specifically, the VF*n*W.

Old Sarge and I have been very active for a lot of years. We’ve risen very high in the organization, and have hopefully done a lot of good for veterans. But, all good things must come to end, especially when you are so damn busy all the time, that you are forgetting to live your life!

I have missed so much the past several years. Birthdays, graduations, weddings. My kids’ weddings, even. I couldn’t get to Young SGT’s wedding in Germany because of work two years ago. I am missing my youngest son’s wedding this weekend, partly because I made my trip to Georgia in March, party because I find scheduling his wedding one week after his fiancée graduates from friggin’ high school a train wreck waiting to happen, AND…I have to get ready for the VFW Convention next weekend. Have to. I am a State Chairman. And this time of year, I can take off one week, but not two in a row. There is no getting out of it, I made the commitment 18 months ago.

And then I’m done. Not quitting, not avoiding it, but…I have no more heavy duty appointments or responsibilities.
I’ll still be helping vets any chance I get- hey, I sent MY check to
Valour-IT this week, did you?- but I’ll be doing what I want, not feeling like I have to put in an extra twenty hours a week for an organization.

Family matters aside, I very nearly let the opportunity for a good friendship slide by when Tammi thought she might be moving from my area. And it really made me think about how much I was missing out on all fronts.

Lest y’all worry that I may have VF*n*W withdrawal, well, Old Sarge and I have the boat, which will be in the river soon, I got a new golf bag for Mothers Day, our garden needs lots of TLC, so I won’t be bored.

And I’m not going to forget to live my life.

2 Comments:

At 6/16/2006, Blogger Richmond said...

Oh good for you. Hang in there!

Congratulations to your son!

And I look forward to meeting you at the next blogmeet! :)

 
At 6/18/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think I'll be congratulating Alex, but whatever floats his boat I guess (as long as it doesn't sink yours!)

As soon as I'm able, I will be booking a flight to GA. It's a lot more expensive to fly into Savannah vs. Atlanta, but I guess I'd make up for that in a rental car.

I'll be there :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home