Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Unfriendly Skies

No. I'm not talking about the storm clouds gathering AGAIN this afternoon. This was about my recent flight experiences.

When did "carry-on" become "big suitcase"? It seems to me that the airlines used to be much stricter with what was considered carry-on luggage; maybe a tote bag or an overnight case, but nothing bigger. But the last couple of times I've flown, I've noticed people are stowing away honest-to-pete suitcases with wheels and everything. Why? Did folks get tired of having their luggage lost? Hate going to baggage claim? Think they're going to get off the plane sooner??

I can sympathize with carrying all your wordly possessions with you if you think your suitcase will end up in Airline Limbo. Nobody likes to have their stuff lost. But I gotta tell you, when you're standing in the aisle, patiently waiting for everyone that is ahead of you to unload their junk, when you could have been off the plane by now, well, that really and truly pisses me off. The only consolation I have is that by the time I do get to baggage claim, there hasn't been any kind of wait for my modest little duffel bag because it was the only piece of luggage checked in on the whole frickin' plane!

So, how about you? You okay with getting smacked in the head by someone struggling to get their behemoth carpetbag out of the overhead storage, or do you check your bags?

2 Comments:

At 5/17/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hardly ever carry on. Kinda feel like I'm holding everyone else up. But then again, I guess I am... I usually end up stowing my bag four to six seats away, thanks to everyone else loading up the compartments.

Just ain't worth it.

 
At 5/18/2006, Blogger Tammi said...

I never carry on. Just my purse and laptop. I know this may come as a surprise to some, but I'm not a real patient person at times. I wanna get on the plane and get off the plane. Period.

Oh - and if I had a nickle for every time I've been smacked in the head by someone's luggage....wait. Maybe that explains a few things!! ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home