Tuesday, November 15, 2005

I have a tendency to still be caught up in events even when the actual date has passed by. My birthday, for example, usually requires the entire month of October to be celebrated properly. We all know, ahem, how well THAT worked out this year.

But that aside, I have Veterans Day very much on mind, and the “funk” which seems to be permeating the blogosphere has touched me too. I had made a promise to visit some old friends; it took me until yesterday to keep my promise. So on a dark and stormy afternoon, I indulged in my ever growing fascination with eternal resting places and stopped by to see how the boys were doing.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Sunlight is a fleeting friend here in November. The last several days have visited some intense wind and rain on us, stripping the trees of the last vestige of autumn glory that is always gone too soon. The oak leaves were thick on the ground, and I couldn't find several markers that have long since "gone to ground". Deep grey clouds were giving way to a gloomy twilight, and I could do little but a minimal cleanup before it was completely dark. Another day, maybe this weekend.

Depressed? No. Not really. Via Army Wife, I read this post from Some Soldier's Mom. She gets it, and I know she'll never forget. The duty and obligation you feel, even if the last act the living can do for the dead is for those you have never known. But regardless, you know they are there, you know what they sacrificed, and you can never forget.

November does that for me; its dark and stark beauty lends itself to a look inside, an accounting. Taking time to take stock, and see what is still lacking. I don't dread these dreary days anymore, just embrace them for the wonderful opportunity that they are to get squared away before the cycle starts again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home