Friday, November 11, 2005

Veterans Day

"on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month..."

Over the years, I have heard that line used so many times in so many speeches. So many school programs, parades, services, I can't begin to count. This year I am doing something that I haven't done for a long time for Veterans Day. I'm working. That's right, no getting in uniform, no speaking engagements. And as long as the people who rightly deserve to have a day off are working- that would be VETERANS- I'm going to work too. And thank every man that I work with who has served his country. For the people who ARE taking a day off from banking, mail delivery, any government function- please think about it. Unless you were willing to put it on the line like so many men and women have, shouldn't YOU be working and THEM have the day off, so we can give them the respect and thanks that they have earned?
So...let the thank you's begin.

To Johann Christoph Lyerle. His family (my family) came here in the 1600's to avoid religious persecution. His father disowned him for fighting for the Continental Army in the Revolutionary War. Thank you for allowing me such deep roots.

To my uncles, Karl, Kendall, Keith & Jack. Thanks for giving me the understanding of a time when military service was the norm, not the exception.

To my dad. I will always remember your stories of Korea- when you told me your job was to hit the bombs you were loading with a hammer to make sure they were good, of riding up to the Chosin Reservoir to see what the fuss was about and finding out the hard way, and of the South African pilot, who was coming back to base so badly shot up that he crashed his plane in the side of a mountain, rather than risk harming anyone on the ground. You humble me with your decency, and I have been so blessed to have you for my dad.

To my husband. You've taught me that there is so much more to military service than what you see in a movie. That the guys and gals who show up to work everyday, whether at a desk job, a machine shop, or whatever are so important. You spent over 20 years making sure stuff worked when it needed to.

To my boys. Rob, you took the hardest path you could choose. You wanted to be the best, and the Marine Corps gave you that opportunity. Joe, if I had a dollar for every time you said, "I ain't joining the f*#@in' Army!" And Dan, wow, never in a million years would I have thought that you would not only join the Army, but even consider making it a career. Not my wild man! And Alex, I confess. I didn't think you'd make through basic. You've surprised us all at what you've achieved. All three of you Army boys signed up after 9-11. You knew what was coming. You've all been to the Sandbox. All four of you have made your dad & I so proud.

Thank you, veterans, for everything!

2 Comments:

At 11/12/2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please thank them all for me.

 
At 11/12/2005, Blogger Tammi said...

Wow RM - beautiful post. Like Jim said - thank them for me, please.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home