Monday, July 31, 2006

More Adventures in Food Preservation

I have a word to the wise should you ever decide to freeze jalapeno peppers for future use.

Don't.

Okay, I know peppers will leave residue on your hands and that you need to wash thoroughly before doing anything else. What I found out after handling 2 gallons of cut, seeded and washed peppers is that no amount of hand washing is going to help. Even having your hands close to your face but not touching (if you're a smoker) will make your skin burn. Your hands will burn and tingle for HOURS! And if you are an unfortunate soul like my dear husband, DO NOT, whatever you do, pee for several hours after cleaning peppers.

But I do have 2 great recipes for jalapeno poppers.

Cheese mixture:
cream cheese
monterey jack
minced garlic
sun dried tomatoes

Sorry for no quantities, I mix stuff until it looks/tastes good.

Jalapenos #1

Slit whole peppers on one side only and clean out seeds. Fill with cheese mixture, and wrap with bacon, using a toothpick to secure it. Grill until bacon is crisp or the grill catches on fire from all the bacon grease.

Jalapenos #2

Half peppers and clean out seeds. Or not, if you seek revenge on someone. Spread cheese mix on jalapeno halves, then drag through flour, then egg, and finally seasoned bread crumbs. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Serve with lots of beer.

Leaving the seeds in will definitely make the peppers hotter, and just in case you ever needed to know, they, uh, float. Afterwards. Entertainment value only.

5 Comments:

At 7/31/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could have warned you about the peppers... I think I did.

So you gonna hook me up with some poppers when I get home?

 
At 8/01/2006, Blogger ma content said...

Absolutely! You gonna make the trek over here?

 
At 8/01/2006, Blogger Tammi said...

RM? Yeah, I got a box of gloves (use them for pepper jam and pie crust. You need some? ;-)

 
At 8/01/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hell, yes...

When I get home.

 
At 8/03/2006, Blogger Richmond said...

Sounds fabulous! Well, except for the "floaters". Heh. : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home